Eggs in the city

Well my girl Pearl (my Silkie Bantam chick) has finally decided to start laying eggs. She laid her first one on Nov. 25 and has been cranking them out ever since, almost daily (she takes a day off every 3 or 4 days).


I can't believe what joy there is in going out every morning and looking in the nesting box of the hen house and discovering the gift of an egg. Sometimes I even happen to look outside and notice that Pearl is in the hen house and I wait about 10 minutes and go out and there it is - a fresh, warm, beautiful egg. The Bantam breed of chickens is smaller than the average chicken and therefore have smaller eggs but I don't mind. I have been using two of Pearl's eggs to equal one large store bought egg and it seems to be working out just fine. I have farm fresh eggs right here in the city.



I found a wire egg basket on ebay. It had been barely used and the seller said she purchased it from an estate sale of a couple who visited Europe often and had a lot of vintage items. This basket is actually from Italy which is etched in the bottom of the basket. I think it looks like a flying saucer.


No comments: